In the event of a no-deal Brexit, you may need a Green Card

No Deal Brexit?
If there is no agreement between the UK and EU after the end of the transition period (31 December 2020), it’s likely you will need a Green Card while driving your vehicle in Europe and some other countries (Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and Switzerland). You may also need an international driving permit (IDP).

What is a Green Card
A green card (officially called an international motor insurance certificate), is a document issued by insurers, which guarantees that a motorist has the minimum motor insurance cover to drive in the country they are visiting or travelling through.

What is an IDP?
An International Driving Permit is a permit that allows you to drive in countries where a UK licence alone is not sufficient. These countries include the USA, Brazil, Japan and might also include EEA countries post Brexit.

What does it mean for you?
At present, you may have a motor insurance policy that allows you to drive within the European Union without additional paperwork. However, if you are planning a trip to the EU with your vehicle on or after 1st January 2021, and negotiations result in a no-deal Brexit you will need to speak to your insurer about getting a Green Card. Insurers are advising that you may have to take a physical green card, so make sure you allow enough time to get your green card physically, as electronic versions may not be accepted.

You will also need to assess whether you need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the country you are visiting. The type of IDP that you may need will depend on the countries you will drive through, the Post office website has a facility to check if an IDP is required.

What you will need to do before you travel
If you are planning to drive in the EU from 1 January, you must make the necessary arrangements in good time before your departure as each Insurer will have different lead times for preparing these documents.

If you are going to drive abroad soon after 1st January 2021, please get in touch with us as soon as possible to ensure that you have the correct motor insurance documentation before your departure.

What information will you need to apply for a Green Card?
To apply for your Green Card, your insurer will want to know:
• The vehicle registration
• The name/s of the driver/s
• The dates of your trip
• The countries you will be visiting.
As we are unsure if we will be facing a no-deal scenario, your best option is to advise your insurer of your trip as soon as possible. If we handle your motor or fleet insurance please call and speak to your Account Handler who will assist you.